Such an amazing few months it’s been!
Anita Wardell, jazz singer extraordinaire, comes to the U.S. and stays with us here in Oshkosh between her gigs in California and New York.
While in Wisconsin, Anita conducted an unforgettable clinic for a handful of lucky singers and then, thanks to our friends at Urban Evolutions and Kyle Knoke, performed with Tom Theabo, Tom Washatka and a very nervous (but exhilarated) Janet Planet. The performance takes a snapshot of the joy of improvisation. Anita took me for a ride and although she also took me to school, I still smile when I hear this.
Anita is my teacher and now, dear friend. She’s the real deal, a true jazz singer who is studied and soulful. Her scatting abilities are inspiring in some cases, mind-boggling!
She’s also an amazing cook!
As a holiday season gift to all, below is a cut from our concert and Anita’s Shrimp Masala Curry recipe.
Anita and Janet Jam (Tom Theabo guitar)
Click on link: But Not For Me.mp3
Here’s here recipe for Shrimp Masala Curry
Shrimps -500 grams, peeled and deveined
Small Onion / Sambar Onion / Shallots – 1/2 cup, finely chopped or minced
Tomato – 3 nos in medium size or 1 cup, sliced
Ginger garlic paste – 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
Salt – to taste
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Oil – 3 tablespoons
Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves – 2 strings
Coriander leaves – for garnishing (cilantro)
Water – 3/4 cup
To Roast and Grind:
Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 3/4 teaspoon
Rice grains – 1 tablespoon
Coriander seeds / Dhania – 1 and 1/2 tablespoons
Curry/bay leaves – 1 string
Oil – 1 teaspoon
Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon or to taste
1) Wash shrimps in water a couple of times. Add salt, turmeric and a generous pinch of red chili flakes or powder. Stir. Cover and leave for 30 minutes if longer put shrimps in fridge.
2) while the shrimps are marinading, in a pan, heat about a teaspoon of oil. Add all the ingredients except red chili flakes and roast them until you smell a nice perfume
3) Take off heat and add the red chili flakes/powder – do not burn!
4) let cool and then grind to a fine powder. If required add water to make a smooth paste.
5) puree the tomato and keep aside.
6) Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in the same pan as for roasting. Add mustard seeds when it is hot. Add onion along with curry leaves/ bay leaves. Fry till onion becomes very soft and translucent.
7) mix together ginger and garlic until like a paste and fry until soft
8) Add tomato puree and cook till it reduces
9) Add Shrimps ground masala powder, salt, turmeric and water separately. Mix gently. When the sauce starts boiling, cover the pan and let cook on a low flame Let it cook for few minutes.
10) Cook the sauce till the oil comes out from the top of the pan and the prawns are cooked.
11) Garnish with chopped Cilantro leaves and serve hot with steamed rice.
1) Instead of red chili powder, you can also use dry red chilies for roasting for this gravy.
2) Increase or decrease the water quantity as per your personal preference.
1 cup red lentils
2 tablespoons ginger root, minced
1 teaspoon mustard seed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
4 tomatoes, chopped
3 onions, chopped1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander seed
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup water
salt to taste
Add all ingredients to list
Cook the lentils by boiling or until lentils are soft.In a skillet heat the oil and add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds begin to flutter, add onions, ginger, chili flakes a
garlic. Saute until the onions and garlic are golden brown. Add coriander and cumin. Add chopped tomatoes. Saute the mixture well until tomatoes are well cooked.
Add water. Boil 6 minutes. Add cooked lentils, stirring well. Add salt to taste, stirring well. Add finely chopped cilantro and remove from heat. Serve hot